Mariana S. C. Almeida
Since July 2013 I am a Research Scientist at Priberam Labs, in Lisbon, Portugal, where I work on natural language processing and machine learning. I am also affiliated with the Instituto de Telecomunicações (IT) of Lisbon, Portugal, at the Instituto Superior Técnico.
Until there I mostly worked on image processing. I was a Postdoc fellow at IT of Lisbon, working on image reconstruction under the supervision of Mário A. T. Figueiredo. And my PhD was in the field of blind image separation and blind deconvolution, under the supervision of Luís B. Almeida, at IT of Lisbon, Portugal.
PhD Thesis: "Blind separation and blind deblurring of natural images", October, 2010. (PDF)
· Honorable mention at the Portuguese IBM Scientific Prize in 2010, for her work on blind image deblurring.
· Prémio Prof. Luís Vidigal 2004/2005, for her final project on on extensions to denoising source separation.
EEE Copyrigh Policy: Some of the following papers are IEEE copyrighted material. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.
Elsevier Copyright Policy (pre-print only): Some of the following papers are pre-print of an article whose final and definitive form has been published in the above referenced journal. Commercial use, exploitation or distribution are not allowed.
· National Patent: “Processo de focagem cega de imagens”, BPI: 246/2009, 2009.
· M. S. C. Almeida and M. A. T. Figueiredo, “Deconvolving images with unknown boundaries using the alternating direction method of multipliers”, IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 22, No. 8, pp. 3074-3086, 2013. (available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.2687; Abstract and MATLAB code).
· M. S. C. Almeida and M. A. T. Figueiredo, “Stopping Criteria for Iterative Blind and Non-Blind Image Deblurring Algorithms Based on Residual Whiteness Measures”, IEEE Trans Image Processing, vol. 22, nº7, pp.2751-63, 2013. (Abstract and MATLAB code)
· M. S. C. Almeida and L. B. Almeida, “Nonlinear saparation of a show-through mixing model using a physical model trained with ICA”, Signal Processing, Vol 92, issue 4, pp. 872-884, April, 2012. (Online, Abtract, Bi-affine separability and data)
(In the Top 10 most accessed articles of IEEE Trans. Image Processing on March 2010; in the Top 100 IEEE most accessed articles during the months of January, February and March 2010.)
· M. S. C. Almeida and L. B. Almeida; "Wavelet-based separation of nonlinear show-through and bleed-through image mixtures", Neurocomputing, Vol. 72, pp. 57-70, December, 2008. (PDF , Online, Abstract, data and MATLAB Code)
Papers in international conferences
· M. S. C. Almeida, C. Pinto, H. Figueira, P. Mendes, and A. F. T. Martins. "Aligning Opinions: Cross-Lingual Opinion Mining with Dependencies." Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL'15), Beijing, China, July 2015. To appear.
· M. S. C. Almeida and A. F. T. Martins. “Lisbon: Evaluating TurboSemanticParser on Multiple Languages and Out-of-Domain Data.” Proceedings of International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval'15), task 18: Broad Coverage Semantic Dependency Parsing, Denver, USA, June 2015.
· A. F. T. Martins and M. S. C. Almeida, “Priberam: A Turbo Semantic Parser with Second Order Features”, Proceedings of International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval'14), task 8: Broad Coverage Semantic Dependency Parsing, Dublin, Ireland, August 2014. (Best system of the shared task)
· A. M. A. M. Teodoro, M. S. C. Almeida and M. A. T. Figueiredo, “Single-frame Image Denoising and Inpainting Using Gaussian Mixtures.” International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods (ICPRAM 2015), Lisbon, Portugal, 2015.
· M. S. C. Almeida, M. B. Almeida and A. F. T. Martins, “A Joint Model for Quotation Attribution and Coreference Resolution”, Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics – EACL’14, Gothenburg, Sweden, April 2014.
· M. B. Almeida, M. S. C. Almeida, A. F. T. Martins, Helena Figueira, Pedro Mendes and Cláudia Pinto, “A New Multi-Document Summarization Corpus for European Portuguese”, Language Resources and Evaluation Conference - LREC'14, Reykjavik, Iceland, May 2014.
· M. S. C. Almeida and M. A. T. Figueiredo, “Frame-based image deblurring with unknown boundary conditions using the Alternating Direction Method of Multipliers", IEEE International Conf. on Image Processing – ICIP’2013, Melbourne, Australia, September, 2013.
· M. S. C. Almeida and M. A. T. Figueiredo,, "Blind Image Deblurring with Unknown Boundaries Using the Alternating Direction Method of Multipliers", IEEE International Conf. on Image Processing – ICIP’2013, Melbourne, Australia, September, 2013.(Abstract, data and MATLAB Code)
· M. S. C. Almeida, A. Abelha and L. B. Almeida, "Multi-resolution approach for blind deblurring of natural images”, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing – ICIP’2012, 30 Set. – 3 Out., Orlando, Florida, EUA,2012.
· M. S. C. Almeida and M. A. T. Figueiredo, “New stopping criteria for iterative blind image deblurring based on residual whiteness measures”, IEEE Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing – SSP’2011, Nice, France, 2011. (MATLAB code).
· M. S. C. Almeida and L. B. Almeida, "Blind deblurring of foreground-background images", IEEE International Conference on Image Processing – ICIP’2009, Cairo, Egypt, 2009. (PDF , Poster)
· M. S. C. Almeida and L. B. Almeida, “Blind deblurring of natural images”, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing - ICASSP’ 2008, March, Las Vegas, 2008. (PDF, Poster , MATLAB code)
· M. S. C. Almeida and L. B. Almeida, "Separating Nonlinear Image Mixtures Using a Physical Model Trained with ICA", Proc. IEEE Int. Worksh. Machine Learning for Signal Processing 2006 – MLSP’2006, Maynooth, Ireland, Vol.1, pp. 65 – 70, September, 2006. (PDF, Slides)
· M. S. C. Almeida and L. B. Almeida, "Wavelet Based Nonlinear Separation of Images", Proc. IEEE Int. Worksh. Machine Learning for Signal Processing – MLSP’2006, Maynooth, Ireland, Vol.1, pp. 53 – 58 , September, 2006. (PDF, Slides)
· M. S. C. Almeida, H. Valpola and J. Särelä., “Separation of a Nonlinear Image Mixtures by Denoising Source Separation”, Proc. of the 6th International Conference on Independent Component Analysis and Blind Signal Separation – ICA’2006, Charleston, S.C., USA, pp. 8-15, 2006. (PDF, Poster)